Before moving to our topic, let me give you a brief idea about SEO.
SEO is the process of optimization of a webpage or website to improve the quality and quantity of traffic and to get a higher ranking on search engines.
On-page SEO is the part of SEO among four parts:
- On-page SEO
- Off-page SEO
- Local SEO
- Technical SEO
Heading forward, what is On-page SEO?
Basically, On-page SEO also known as On-site SEO is the process of optimizing elements on a webpage or website. It is a process; fully controlled by the site owner; he can optimize the website according to him/her.
On-page SEO factors:
- Heading tags: heading tags are used to give heading. In html there are six heading tags available. These are:
Here H1 is the heading with the largest font size and H6 is the heading with the smallest font size.
If a keyword is used it must be targeted in the heading tags.
H1 tag must be used at least and at most once and subheadings can be used multiple times or can be skipped.
2. Slug: It is also known as permalink or SEO-friendly Link. URL of website must fulfill condition mentioned below:
a) URL must not exceed 75 characters.
b) Keyword must be targeted in the URL.
c) Underscores (_) must not be used in the URL use hyphen (-) instead.
Example: let’s take two URLs
Link a = cakes.com/blog/chocolate-cake-recipe/
Link b = cakes.com/blog/tt4227538?ref_=ttep_c
Here link is an SEO-friendly link. While is not a proper link according to SEO.
3. Meta tags: these tags are used to about the content on our website or webpage to describe the browser’s crawler and user.
Example: If we have a website related to advanced technologies then we will search keywords related to it and use them in the meta tags.
<meta name = “description” content = “top 5 advanced technologies”>
4. Keyword Density: Keyword density is the number of keywords used over total words on the webpage. It is a measure to find that how many keywords are used in our webpage.
The formula for Keyword Density:
Example: If we use 26 keywords on a webpage containing 1000 words, the keyword density would be 2.6%
Points to be remembered:
a) Keyword density must lie between 1-3%.
b) One must be used over 100 words or a paragraph.
5. Linking: Links are used as an indication to search engines that our website is a quality source of knowledge and worthy of citation. Therefore, building links is also a tactic used for search engine optimization.
Higher the number of backlinks, the higher the chances of better earnings.
There are two types of links used for SEO:
a) Inbound Linking: It is also known as internal linking. These are the links that redirect the users from one on-page to another on the same domain.
Example: If we have two blog posts related to technology and digital marketing. We can give the links of both the post to each other. So that users can directly land on your other post.
b) Outbound Linking: It is also known as external linking. These are the links in form of hypertext that directs the user to a page from your website to a reputable page on a different domain.
Example: If we have a website related to digital marketing; then we can give links to other reputable digital marketing websites. If we don’t want to give links to other sites, we can also give links to our social media. These links will also be considered external links.
Adding external links on our webpage is mandatory.
6. Image optimization: Image optimization is one of the important tactics for search engine optimization. It can be explained as the creation and delivery of high-quality images in the ideal format, size, and resolution to fascinate users. Accurate labeling of images (so that web crawlers/ghosts can read them and understand the content.) is also involved in it.
We add the alt attribute with the image on a webpage.
Format: <img src = “path of image” alt = “ ”>
Basically, the alt attribute gives a description of the website to the crawler.
Example: Suppose we have a website related to search engine optimization and we have to add an image describing the types of SEO, then we may write “types of SEO” in the alt attribute.
7. Content optimization: Content optimization can be understood as to assure that the content is written in a way that it can target the largest possible traffic. It involves verification of the presence of associated keywords, adding meta tags, title tags, and relevant links.
Example: If we are writing a blog post on cars then we should use relevant keywords in every paragraph of it.
8. Multimedia contents: Multimedia content can be a successful strategy for a fascinating audience. It involves diverse content which comprises images, videos, long-form articles, podcasts, and interactive tools.
For example: let us assume that we are writing a blog post on environmental concerns then we can add posters, images, or videos related to environmental concerns. It will help attract traffic with ease.
9. Using modifiers in titles/content: First of all, a modifier is a word which when combines with your core keyword, leads to the creation of a long-tail strategy. A modifier can be a word related to your niche.
Users tend to add modifiers in their searches, hence adding modifiers can help in targeting more traffic.
Some modifiers are best, cheap, top, free, how to, why, tips, top, guide, reviews.
Example: – top 10 institutes in Delhi
– the best place to visit in Jaipur
10. Responsive design: Responsive design means that website should be capable of being opened on all forms of resolution without any mixing of content or elements of HTML.
For example, our website should be capable of being opened on a desktop, tablet, or phone with different resolutions.
11. Speed of site: Speed of site is a major factor for bounce rate. The loading time of the site should be low because if it takes more time then the user will leave it before loading and it will affect the ranking of a site.
According to Google loading time should not exceed three seconds. It can be between one to three seconds.