This is an article on software and hardware. It includes basic knowledge of software, types of software, hardware, then types of hardware devices, and at last the comparison between hardware and software. Read the article till the end to get knowledge about software and hardware.
In a computer system, the software is computer code that tells a computer how to perform a specific task. In other words, the software is a set of instructions, data, or programs used to operate a computer and execute a specific task. For example like MS-word, MS-excel, MS -PowerPoint, Adobe Photoshop, Google Chrome, etc.
Software tells a computer how to act and function, It is a term used to refer to application scripts and programs that run on devices such as PCs, mobile, and other smart devices.
Type of software
An application program is a computer program designed to perform a group of function tasks and it carries out some specific tasks but not any operation related to the computer.
Examples of application software are a word processor like ms-words, A spreadsheet-like ms-excel, An accounting application, A web browser like Chrome Browser, A media player like VLC, etc.
Types of Application Software
- General Purpose Software – It is used for a variety of tasks and unlimited to perform a specific task only for example MS-word, MS-excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Customized Software – In this type of application software used to be designed for specific organizations for example Railway reservation systems, airline reservation systems, etc.
System software is software designed to provide services to other application software. Examples of the system software are operating systems, games engines, etc.
System software is used to manage computer systems and other devices. It runs in the background and maintains the essential functions of the devices.
Types of System Software
- Operating System – An operating system is software which we can also say that as a system software because it work as a platform between computer hardware, application software, and end-users.
- Device Driver – A device driver is system software that operates or controls a particular device attached to a computer. It is the device driver who makes it possible for all the external devices to perform their tasks.
- Programming Language Translator – Assembler, Interpreter, and compiler are the popular language translators.
- What is File System and how many types are there?
- What is an Embedded System? – Digital Namanji
- Android (Operating system) – Digital Namanji
Computer hardware is any part of the computer that we can touch and feel. For example like a mouse, keyboard, hard disk drive, monitor, printer, CPU, and other many devices.
Computer hardware is the physical component that makes up a computer system and is used for the processing of data. Software is a type of instruction that tells the computer what to do and when to do it. Hardware is nothing without software.
Hardware is included a device that is used for giving input, storing data that is displayed on the screen as output.
Different types of computer hardware
CPU: CPU (central processing unit) is the core part of the computer and it is a hardware component. The CPU is also called the brain of the computer as every operation is executed in the CPU only.CPU is made of chips that contain billions of small transistors installed on it. The other hardware component which is a monitor, keyboard, mouse, the printer is connected to the CPU. Generally, a CPU has three components:
- ALU: It is the arithmetic logic unit that performs arithmetic and logical function. Arithmetic functions as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and other logical function.
- CU: CU means control unit. The control unit works with the operations of the processor and the computer resources are managed by it. It controls the flow of data between the CPU and another device.
- MU: It is called a memory unit. It is also known as internal memory. It is used to store the instruction that is required in processing.
Motherboard: It is the circuit board that connects all of your hardware to your processor. The motherboard is the back of the computer’s where components control together at one spot.
Hard disk drive: A hard disk drive is a nonvolatile data storage device. Hard disk devices are commonly used as the main storage device in a computer. All computers have an internal. Hard disk for storage.
Keyboard: Keyboard is a set of keys that enables you to give input into the computer. It contains a lot of keys of different types and functions.
Mouse: A mouse is a small hardware input device used by hand using this we select or click on anything. It is a pointing and moveable device that you control a range of things on a computer.
- What are the types of computers?
- What is GPU? What’s the difference between GPU and CPU?
- What is the Domain Name System (DNS)? – DigitalNamanji
Two types of Mouse :
Wired mouse: A wired mouse is connected through a wire to a USB port, this mouse can be connected to the motherboard or the ports of laptops.
Wireless mouse: Wireless mouse transmits radio signals to a receiver connected to your computer. In a wireless mouse, the computer checks the signals and gets the movement of the mouse.
Monitor: A monitor is an output device of the computer that displays information in pictorial form. Monitors are very important because without them you would not be able to view your output. It is the control same as the TV screen.
Different types of monitor :
LCD Monitor: LCD means liquid crystal display which is made up of liquid crystals. LCD is the most common type of monitor that you can see everywhere today.
LED Monitor: LED stands for light-emitting diode. Sometimes called LED-backlit monitors, they have great color and image quality.
Flat-Panel Monitor: Flat panel monitors are a type of computer display that is typically used in PCs, Laptops, and other similar devices. Flat – Panel monitors can be either analog or digital; they can also be a combination of both.
Touch Screen Monitor: Touch Screen Monitor are monsters that can be interacted with by touching the screen.
Relationship between Hardware and Software:
- Hardware software are mutually dependent on each other, they are totally dependent on each other.
- Hardware without a set of programs to operate cannot be utilized and is useless.
- Hardware is a one-time expense.
- The software acts as an interface between the user and the hardware.
Both hardware and software make a computer system operate effectively.
A combination of hardware and software forms a usable computing system.
Software is untouchable and hardware is touchable.