Database Management System (DMBS) is a collection of Data represented in the form of a table. Know in detail what is Database Management System, Language, the Advantages, and Disadvantages of DBMS, its Schema, Applications & Languages. Also get details about Popular DBMS Software, Data Definition, Manipulation & Control Languages, and its application. So, check the article on DBMS till the last to get every detail about it.
What is Database Management System
A database is an organized/systematic collection of data that is represented in the form of a table. It makes data management easy for the administrator. It also supports data manipulation and storage. In the Database, the data can be easily managed, accessed, updated, and deleted. Every website needs a database to store and manage the data. Example – Our electricity board stores our information, billing details, amount, due dates all these are stored on a database.
Database management system(DBMS)
The database management system is application software that manages the database and provides features to the users. The database management system provides facilities like create, access, and manipulate the data in the database. It works as an interface between the users and the software. In the Database management system, we can create our own database very easily and quickly. It provides data security that’s why big organizations like Facebook, Twitter, and every common sight uses the database management system. It works in the backend.
Users in Database management system environment
- Application Programmer – The application programmer works in the background. Application programmers write a program using different programming languages to interact with the database. A common language that is used to interact with the database is MySQL and Oracle.
- Database Administrator – Database Admin is the person responsible for the management of the entire DBMS. Administration of the whole database like who can access it or not and who can only see it, everything is in the hand of the database administrator. The person responsible for this is called the database administrator (DBA)
- End User – End Users are the people who access it to retrieve, update and edit the data. The people who interact with the database management system are the end user.
Some Popular DBMS Software
There are a lot of DBMS Software available, but we will have a look on some popular of them.
- Microsoft Access
- IBM DB2
- Microsoft SQL server
DBMS has its appropriate language to express database queries and update them. These languages are used to store, read, and update the data in the database.
Types of Database Languages are –
- Data Definition Language(DDL)
- Data Manipulation Language(DML)
- Data Control Language(DCL)
- Transaction Control Language (TCL)
Data Definition Language
Data Definition Language or DDL is the language that defines the database i.e it is used to create the database table. It has a pre-defined syntax or command for explaining the data. DDL is used to create, alter, drop, truncate, rename, comment. DDL stores the information of the metadata of the database like the number of the table, their name, indexes, constraints, etc.
Data Manipulation Language
Data Manipulation Language or DML is used for manipulating and accessing data as per the user’s request. It is a way of telling a database what changes and what operation you want to do. Manipulation means changes/modify, update and delete you want to see in your table of the database. DML is used to select, insert, update, delete, merge, call, etc.
Data Control Language
DCL or Data Control Language is used to retrieve the saved or stored data and its execution is transactional. DCL language has the right to grant or revoke the permission of those who can access the database.
Transaction Control Language
TCL is used to manage the transaction in the database. It is used to manage the change which is made by the DML statement/commands. It can be grouped into logical transactions. Commands in the TCL are Commit and Rollback.
What are the Advantages of DBMS
- Various Techniques – DBMS provides various techniques to store data. And also to retrieve data.
- Multiple Applications for the same data – DBMS servers can balance multiple applications to access the same data at the same particular time.
- Equal Access – DBMS provides uniform administration rights for the data. It means that everyone who has access to the DBMS can do the same work, No one has fewer rights or more.
- Data Security – DBMS provides data integrity and data security i.e the data in the database is very much secured.
- Data Integrity – DBMS gives integrity constraints to get high-level protection so that no other or outside person can access the data. Because in the database there is very confidential data of the organization’s.
What are the Disadvantages of DBMS
- Cost of Hardware and Software – The cost of Hardware and Software is high and it increases the budget of the organization.
- Training To User – Some DBMS have complex systems so it requires some training before use.
- Can’t perform calculation – it can’t perform sophisticated or advanced calculations.
- Require Proper Maintenance – Organization uses a single database for the data which can be damaged by either electric failure or the database is corporated on the storage media
Schema of DBMS
The structure which is described by any language supported by DBMS is known as the Schema. The overall description and design of the database are called the database schema.
Schema is categorized into three parts –
Physical Schema – Physical Schema is a design of a database that works on the physical level of the database. It tells how the data will be stored in the database. And the DBA( Database Administrator) chooses how to store the data and what will be the structure of the storage. Physical Schema is just like the foundation of the database.
Logical Schema – Logical Schema is also known as Conceptual Schema. It is a design of a database that works on the conceptual level of data. The database programmer and the database administrator both work at this level. This level describes the records and all the relationships included in the database conceptual view. This scheme is in between the internal and the external level of the database management system.
View Schema – View Schema by its name we can understand that it works at the view level which can also be said as the external level. It shows only those data that you want to see and will hide the rest.
Application of DBMS
- Education Institutions – Database is used in the educational institution where the institutions store the data of their students.
- Railway Reservation – DBMS is used in the railway reservation system in which the details of the passenger traveling are stored like PNR no. , Name, Age, etc.
- Social Media Platform – It is used in the social media platform where our details like name, email address, birthday, preference are stored.
- Telecommunication – Databases are very useful in telecommunications. Without DBMS the telecommunications services are nothing because in this the data of the customer are stored like their number, name, etc.
In this post we have provided all the details related to Database Management System (DMBS) for you. We have provided all the details that are available on various places on the Internet on a single page. So, if you like the information you must share it with your friends. Thanks.