The topic of this article is data structures. This article contains all important topics about data structures. Full detail about data structures is described in this article. In this article, there is the introduction of data structures, their types, details of each type of data structure, which way data structures are useful for computer science, advantages of data structures, disadvantages of some types of data structures, why data structures are used, and much other essential information about data structure, at the end of the article there is a short conclusion about this article which is the data structure. Hope this article will be very helpful to you for knowing details about data structure.
Data structures are a group of data elements that provides an efficient way to store data or modify them in your system. The data structure is a collection of data types that are used to collect all the data and store it in them. Some of the types of data structures are arrays, linked lists, strings, stacks, and queues. They are used to store the data in the memory in an organized manner. With the help of data structures, it becomes easy to store data, manipulate them easily, and keep them stored in memory in an organized way. Storing data without the help of data structures becomes very difficult, it will become more difficult to find particular data from the memory. Data structure elements provide a particular unique address in the memory to each data.
TYPES OF DATA STRUCTURES:
There are eight common types of data structures, if you are a programmer or want to gain knowledge about data structure types then you should know about these 8 types of data structures.
- Arrays- Arrays are a collection of the data type i.e of the same data type, stored sequentially. An array contains variables of the same data type and they have a fixed size, you cannot change the size of an array. Indexing of the array starts with 0. Arrays are commonly used as structures for building and manipulating more complicated data structures. They are also used for sorting algorithms. The common example of an array is a linear row or a series that starts with index 0 and goes further like 0,1,2,3,4……. And so on.
- Linked Lists– The linked list is a sequence of items arranged in a linear order which is connected using the address. In a linked list you must access data in sequential order, you cannot access random data in a linked list. In the linked list each element is called a node, and each node contains a key and a pointer. The pointer directs you to the next node, which is called next. The sequence starts with a head that directs you to the first element within the list. You can create a singly linked list, which will let you traverse the items in a forward direction from head to tail.
- Stacks-A stack is an abstract data type that holds an ordered, linear sequence of items. Stack follows the LIFO rule that stands for last in first out. All operations are performed in the stack only from the top of the stack, push or pop operations are performed in a stack by the top. To increase an element in the stack we use push operation and to decrease an element from the stack we use pop operation. A real-life example of a stack is a collection of plates, in this collection we can add a plate or remove any plate from the top only. Many other examples of the stacks are bundles of books, file collection, etc
- Queues– A queue follows the FIFO rule that stands for first in first out. In a queue, there are two ends, one is the front end, from where elements in the queue are added and another one is rear, which is used for removing or we can say eliminating elements. A real-life example of a queue data type is similar to a real-life queue which we see at many places where people are waiting for their chance. In real-life queues, people get added by one end of the queue and removed by another end.
- Trees–A tree is a hierarchical structure where data is organized hierarchically and linked together with a parent-child relationship. In tree data structure there is a parent node of all nodes and it has some child nodes or elements. Each child element may also be a parent element of another element.
- Heaps-The Heap is a binary tree where the parent nodes are compared to their right and left children with their values and arranged according to it. Heaps are used in the heapsort algorithm; it can be used to implement priority queues as the priority values can be ordered accordingly.
- Graphs-A graph consists of finite set vertices or nodes and a set of edges connecting these vertices. In the graph, the order of it is equal to the number of vertices and the total size of the graph is equal to the number of edges.
- Hash Tables-A hash table is a data structure that stores values that have keys associated with each of them. Hash functions are used to overcome the problem of indirect addressing. It is used to implement database indexes, implement associative arrays, and implement the set of data structures.
HOW DATA STRUCTURES ARE USEFUL FOR COMPUTER SCIENCE:
Data structures are very important for computer science. Data structures are organization tools, used to manage, update, and index internet services efficiently, so in computer science where all the work is of data management and accessing of data in different ways then these data structure elements help a lot for that. The first step of doing any process in computer science is making the steps of we can say set an algorithm for how the process will perform the functions one by one after that data structures are necessary to store that data in different parameters according to the requirement which will be used in the execution of a program, so algorithm and data structures have an important role in computer science. If you want to be a very good programmer then you should have full knowledge of these data structures and how to use them perfectly. If data structures will not there for storing data and allows to modify or use them, then it will become very hard to do these steps very easily like now, then it will become very complex, more difficult, or maybe impossible.
ADVANTAGES OF DATA STRUCTURES:
There are so many advantages of data structures, some of them are defined below-
- Data structures allow storage information on hard disks.
- Data structures have efficient storage to store the data.
- Data structures provide effective and efficient processing of small as well as large amounts of data.
- Usage of proper data structure to store data can be helpful to the programmer to save a lot of time, and also processing time will be also taking very little time while retrieving the data.
- Most of the type of data structures are well organized, like an array, stacks, queues, graphs, linked lists has well and pre-planned features like storage, addition, retrieval, manipulation and many more that is very helpful.
- Data structures support reusability for short runs as well as long runs.
- Data structures like an array, linked list, tree, graph, stack, queue, etc are well tested and it has proved that anyone can easily use them directly and access them.
DISADVANTAGES OF SOME TYPES OF DATA STRUCTURES:
Yet data structures have many advantages, not all but some of the types of data structures have some disadvantages too. The disadvantages of data structures are given below-
- Data structure requires highly qualified resources to manage the operations in any application. Making a bigger application than creating and manipulating that application, will require more manpower and expenses.
- Some types of data structures are kind of predefined storage, as we can say that in an array when you declare the size of the array then after declaration you will be not able to add elements in that array more than its declared size.
- These are some disadvantages of data structures, but these disadvantages of data structure can be ignored because they are minor disadvantages. the whole bunch of advantages of data structure can easily compensate for the disadvantages.
The data structure is a way or format for storing data that enables processing, modification, and make changes in them. As you have seen in the above article that data structures are the essential building block for storing or data, it is also a very important point to choose the right type of data structure to keep our program running smoothly. In this article, there is a full description about data structures, it’s all types in detail and also it has many advantages in many ways those are also explained above, if something has advantages then also have some disadvantages, so disadvantages of some type of data structures are explained above, I hope reading this article was very helpful to you for understanding all about data structures.